“Cousins are connected heart-to-heart. Distance and time can’t break them apart” ~ Unknown
As I reflect on the past and contemplate the future, I find myself thinking a lot about what kind of world Daniella will grow up in. Sadly, if the present state of affairs is any indication, she is in for a rough ride! That however, is only true if those of us responsible for caring for and guiding her, fail to share one of the most important facts about life: family is what sustains you.
Despite the gloom and doom that is all around us, I am excited for Daniella as she is blessed to have been born at a time when three other very special human beings also made their entrance on the scene. She is blessed to share her childhood with three female cousins, all fifth generation descendants of my late grand father!
Those of us who had the good fortune of growing up with cousins of similar age and gender know how special these relationships are and how important they will be throughout our lives. Having cousins no doubt will add a level of awesome to her life that she will never forget!
When you have cousins in your life, there are some benefits that automatically come with the territory:
- anytime playdates – no need to seek out strangers
- lifelong loyal friends – aside from your siblings, cousins will always be your friend
- honest feedback – especially when you didn’t ask for or don’t want to hear it!
- bodyguards on call – you could not be any safer than to have your cousins as your defenders
- unlimited shopping spree – since hand-me-downs among cousins is a rite of passage
- pinky swear partner – there will me hundreds of these between cousins over a lifetime
- fun family gatherings – every opportunity will create new cherished memories that only cousins can create – guaranteed
And the best part is that you don’t live with them! 🙂 That means, unlike siblings, you get the breathing space you need to keep it all in perspective, and give you time to miss each other while getting over any little misunderstandings and disagreements.
My hope for Daniella and her cousins is that they will find the pleasure and joy in spending time together, caring for each other, cheering each other on, supporting each other and most of all, loving each other unconditionally!
Here is a gallery of images of Daniella and her sweet cousins, Londyn, Kimberly and Maliya (posted with the permission of their parents of course). Do take note of how none of them are the slightest bit camera-shy!!!! That should make for some interesting years ahead!
After you have enjoyed the gallery below, feel free to pin, tweet or share your favorite images and, we would love to hear from you about some of your most memorable adventures with your cousins. (Keep it clean people 🙂 )